RSS2.0

Art Attack

Sunday, May 11, 2008

When you walk around the UMBC campus you will notice that there is a great amount of positive energy being emitted from all the bright students on campus. I'm not being sarcastic. UMBC is a place where I have met some of the smartest, most talented young adults with aspiring hopes and dreams. However when walking around our academic oriented university my friend pointed out to me that 4 out of 5 conversations occurring revolve around one of the following: Biology, Chemistry, Math, Engineering, Physics. Not a soul to be heard about poetry or fine art. A possibility could be that I am hanging out with all science/engineering oriented majors. Another more plausible explanation is that UMBC is in dire need of an Art Attack. I mean as a science major myself, I'm not one to talk. But when was the last time you and your friends read and discussed a poem? How about literary novel that wasn't a part of your English assignment? When did you sit down and just let your mind flow with a pencil and your heart fill the paper; or computer as it is nowadays. I mean while many of us may make an effort to connect with modern art and culture, that may just be something you're not into, which is fine. All I'm saying is, with summer creeping up a lot of people are going to have free time on their hands. Instead of watching endless hours of mind-numbing television programs and youtube videos go and commit yourself to at least one book that interests you personally. Read it and think about it. Connect with your book of choice. I promise you it'll be worth it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how did your friend find those statistics? I'm pretty sure that 4 out of 5 conversations at UMBC are about World of Warcraft and/or Magic the Gathering.

And smart, aspiring individuals? Give me a break. Go find out what the average GPA is at our school and then try to tell me that our student body is made up of intellectuals. I think you'll be surprised.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see some SGA memebers using zwybak for more than reping events or tellin us to vote

this blog needs more op/ed stuff like this

Anonymous said...

there was actually an event put on by the linehan scholars called "Art Attack"...it was a week ago? Something like that. We did performance art along academic row during free hour. I am a theatre major here and UMBC actually has a very alive art scene...it's just that people don't pay attention to it. I mean a lot of people don't even know where the theatre building is let alone go to the productions on the main stage, or performed by Theatre COM or Musical Theatre Club. The art is there, you just have to know where to look.

and to the first person who posted...this school is a lot more intellectually oriented than most universities.

Anonymous said...

Check out the senior show at the Gallery at the Fine Arts building. The Opening is May 20th. Go and enjoy