RSS2.0

UMBC Spirit

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Some say we've lost it while others say we have never had it. Yet last weekend, it was both the womens' and mens' basketball opening nights and the spirit was more than present. As I entered the RAC 30 minutes early for the womens' game, I was like a bit worried that my excitement of bringing friends from other schools and showing off my school would be for no good reason. Yet at 7:40 p.m, after the opening routines, the game began and crowd rushed in. This being my very first game attended in the RAC, I sat closest to the team, not realizing we had a "Dawg Pound." Well that section of the stands was completely full with students wearing their yellow and black. As I looked around the crowd, I noticed that nearly all the stands were full with people wearing yellow and black. Both the dance team and the cheerleading team were present the entire night. UMBC played extremely well showing their class and sportsmanship as George Washington was more on the rough side. The game was full of excitement and surprises. It ended with a loss for UMBC by 20 points and a technical foul with numerous other fouls for George Washington.Although a loss, it was a wonderful way to start off the season for the team. Maybe we have lost it or maybe it never existed, but on November 9th, the UMBC spirit undeniably filled the RAC in support of our fellow students.

2 comments:

sameera said...

Welcome to the blog Yasmin! yay and someone finally decided to write about athletics :D

SteelWolf said...

Excellent post Yasmin!