RSS2.0

Study Groups- Do they benefit you?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

In my time as the Director of Academic Affairs, I have gained a lot of experience in dealing with study groups. A lot of experience. But I wonder, do students actually benefit from them? There are scores of studies touting the positive impact of being in a study group on student's grades. That's nice, but I really would like to hear about experiences with study groups from students themselves. I am in the planning stages of having an application added to myUMBC that would allow students to form study groups through that interface. But I must ask, is this something that students want? So leave some comments, and let me know UMBC, are you in study groups? If so, do you feel benefits from them? If not, why not? I am really interested in your feedback.

2 comments:

pyrodancer89 said...

For the most part I find study groups to be helpful. There's usually a variety of understanding, so everyone can help the rest of the group. Also, I've found that getting something explained to me by someone on my level often makes more sense if I didn't understand the way the professor or the text explained it. So long as we actually focus and get stuff done, study groups work well.

Anonymous said...

I think study groups that meet regularly are best. It adds accountability. There's nothing worse than being in a study group and feeling like you're wasting your time because no one else has prepared.

I know that in most of the dorms, there's usually a poster or whatever on each floor where people can write down the classes they are in - I guess for reference, or maybe to set up study groups. What I never understood is why these bulletins aren't compiled with the rest of the building. Sure, it's unlikely that you'll have a class with someone on your hall, but it's almost guaranteed there's something if you look at the entire BUILDING - especially when looking at lower level courses.